Richard Sprague, M.D.
Dr. Sprague completed his residency at New England Deaconess Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts and his fellowship, in gastroenterology from Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina. Dr. Sprague has served as Chief, Department of Medicine and President of the Medical Staff at Riverside Hospital and Chief of the Department of Medicine and on the Board of Directors for Riverside Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida.
He currently is Chief, Department of Gastroenterology, St. Vincent’s Medical Center, Jacksonville, Florida. Dr. Sprague has served as principal and sub-investigator on numerous clinical trials. He is presently the principle investigator in several clinical studies being conducted at the Borland Groover Clinic.
- Diplomat of the National Board of Medical Examiners, 1984
- Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine, 1986
- Diplomat of the American Board of Subspecialty Gastroenterology, 1989
Professional Clinical Positions
|1998 - Present||Borland-Groover Clinic, P.A.||Jacksonville, Florida|
|1988 – 1993||Riverside Clinic||Jacksonville, Florida|
|1993 - 1998||First Coast Medical Group / Riverside Clinic||Jacksonville, Florida|
Administrative and Leadership Positions
|1998 – 2004||Chief, Department of Gastroenterology||St. Vincent's Medical Center||Jacksonville, Florida|
|1994 - 1996||President, Medical Staff||Riverside Hospital||Jacksonville, Florida|
|1993 - 1996||Chief, Department of Medicine||Riverside Clinic||Jacksonville, Florida|
|1993 - 1995||Board of Directors||Riverside Clinic||Jacksonville, Florida|
|1992 - 1994||Chief, Department of Medicine||Riverside Hospital||Jacksonville, Florida|
|1979 - 1983||Doctor of Medicine||University of Vermont||Burlington, Vermont|
|1986 - 1988||Fellowship, Gastroenterology||Duke University Medical Center||Durham, North Carolina|
|1984 - 1986||Resident, Internal Medicine||Junior and Senior Assistant Resident||New England Deaconess Hospital, Harvard Medical School||Boston, Massachusetts|
|1983 - 1984||Internship, Internal Medicine||New England Deaconess Hospital, Harvard Medical School||Boston, Massachusetts|
|1975 - 1979||B.A. Biology, Magna Cum Laude||Bowdoin College||Brunswick, Maine|
- American College of Physicians, 1983 - Present
- American College of Gastroenterology, 1986 - Present
- American Medical Association, 1988 - Present
- Duval County Medical Association, 1988 - Present
- Florida Medical Association, 1988 - Present
- American Gastroenterlogical Association, 1989 - Present
- Florida GI Society, 1994 - Present
Sprague R., Harper R., McClain S., Trainer T., and Beeken W., Disseminated Gastrointestinal Sarcoidosis. Case Report and Review of the Literature. Gastroenterology, 1984: 87: 421-5.
- Intron A + Ribavirin for Treatment of Patients with Chronic Hepatitis C Not Previously Treated with Interferon, Schering Corporation
- Intron A + Ribavirin for Treatment of Patients with Interferon-Refractory or Interferon-Relapsed Chronic Hepatitis C, Schering Corporation
- A 12-Week, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Alosetron (GR68755) in Female Subjects with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Glaxo Wellcome, Inc.
- A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Trial to Determine the Efficacy and Safety of Cisapride in Improving Respiratory Symptoms and Pulmonary Function in Asthmatics with Gastroesophageal Reflux (GER), Janssen Research Foundation
- A 12-Week, Dose-Ranging, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Alosetron (GR68755) in Subjects with Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Evaluation of Helicobacter pylori Eradication Following Oral GR122311X in Combination with Clarithromycin Compared to Omeprazole in Combination with Clarithromycin, Glaxo Wellcome, Inc.
- A Comparison of Ranitidine 300 mg and Cimetadine 800 mg Administered at Bedtime for the Treatment of Large Duodenal Ulcers
- A Comparison of Ranitidine 300 mg and Cimetadine 800 mg Administered at Bedtime for the Treatment of Small Duodenal Ulcers
- A Comparison of Ranitidine 150 mg and Ranitidine 300 mg Administered at Bedtime for the Maintenance of Healed Duodenal Ulcers
- A Comparison of Ranitidine 150 mg and Ranitidine 300 mg QID and Placebo in the Treatment of Erosive Esophagitis
- A Comparison of Ranitidine 150 mg BID and Placebo in the Maintenance of Healed Erosive Esophagitis
- A Comparison of Ranitidine 300 mg HS, Ranitidine 300 mg BID, Ranitidine 300 mg TID, and Ranitidine 300 mg QID in the Treatment of Duodenal Ulcer Disease
- A Double-Blind, Mulitcenter Study to Investigate the Efficacy of Omeprazole 20 or 40 mg Once Daily in the Healing of and Relief of Symptoms due to Benin Gastric Ulcers
- A Comparison of Ranitidine/Bismuth Citrate Compared with Ranitidine and Placebo for Prophytaxis of NSAID Associated Ulcers in Patients with OA or RA without a History of Ulcer
- Dose Ranging Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Oral Doses of Zileuton for Eight Weeks in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis
- Long Term Safety and Efficacy of Zileuton in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis in Remission
- A Phase III Study Comparing Colazide with Asacol in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis
- A Double-Blind, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Efficacy of Cisapride 20 mg BID vs Placebo on the Symptoms of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease